Hurray! The first episode of our podcast is out! For those that haven’t been keeping up over the last few weeks, The Graphic Novel Book Club is our attempt to create an online “reading group” which will examine comics in more depth than a typical review, and maybe encourage people to try out a book or two that they otherwise wouldn’t have read.
The subject of our first episode is The Unwritten vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity, by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. You can subscribe through the iTunes Store here, or download it directly from our Podomatic page.
Just to remind you of the episode’s contents, we posed our friends and readers the following five questions:
1. As far from the first ever story about the crossover between fictional characters and the real world, what does The Unwritten do that sets it apart from other examples of such metafiction – in both comics and other media?
2. Although the Tommy Taylor novels are pretty much a direct Harry Potter analogue, J.K. Rowling’s books still exist in Carey’s fictional universe. Do you think this notion is successfully reconciled?
3. What do you feel Carey establishes the book as saying about fiction itself over the course of this volume? Is there a clear intent and deeper meaning behind it at this stage beyond simply trying to tell an entertaining story?
4. How does The Unwritten justify being presented in the comics medium, given that its fictional subject matter is exclusively novels?
5. If you haven’t already, does reading the first volume make you want to carry on following the series?
Even though we’ve recorded the episode, you’re still able to leave us comments and feedback based on the book or anything mentioned in the podcast itself. You can either comment on this blog entry, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and maybe we’ll address your feedback in the next episode.
If you’d like to join in next time, episode 2 of our podcast is going to look at Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, Vol. 1 – The World According to Peter Parker, and we’ll be posting some discussion points here on our blog in the next few days.